Tuesday, August 2

Much Ado about Nothing

I was having a conversation with a friend recently in which she chided me for belittling what I consider my "problems." That was nice of her. It's always nice to hear that your struggles are neither as big or as insignificant as you'd be inclined to think. However, it touched a chord with me because I live in this perpetual state of thanking God that my issues aren't worse than they are, while occasionally feeling completely overwhelmed and unappreciated. Sound familiar?

With that fine warm-up, you must be on tenderhooks to know what I'm talking about. Ah, sorry to let you down. It's not that exciting. I am just so sick and tired of having people live with us. We have had one family member or another or several living with us since Thanksgiving of last year. I'm normally a pretty hospitable person. I love having people over and around. But I like them to all go home at a certain time. I'm neither an extrovert nor an introvert. I get energy from being around people, but I also get the energy to socialize from being at home and by myself. The problem with perpetual houseguests is that you can't really get away from them. For any of my readers who may have been a houseguest, no offense. I'm not talking about anyone in particular, just everyone in general. Besides, none of my family reads this blog anyhow :)

However, the good news is that the last of the Mohicans goes home this weekend!!! For the first time in 9 months, it will be just Josh, Maria, Greta, and Joseph here. I can't even imagine what it will be like. I suspect it will be a combination of honeymoon and sheer boredom. But I think I can deal with that. Yes, I can definitely deal with having the freedom to walk around in my pj's if I want to, let the kids cry once in a while without feeling guilty that someone else has to listen to them, not prepare dinner on time, not feel guilty about feeding people leftovers, not feel like the house has to be 100% tidy 100% of the time, have a good argument with Josh and not worry about possible scandal to possibly scandalizeable ears... oh, the freedoms we take for granted until we lose them!

4 comments:

  1. I would seriously lose my mind if I had perpetual houseguests since November. You should no longer doubt your candidacy for sainthood, Maria. You've got it locked in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie Hansen8/8/11, 10:08 PM

    I don't know how you've done it. I love having family over, but if they stayed there would probably be physical violence and/or mental breakdowns! Plus I'm a terrible housekeeper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness...I have only had family since we have been in Edinburgh (3 months off and on)...and Charlie has had to share the room with us again, so there is no way to talk to Ken! Let alone have a good argument. Let's just say that we have had a few heated words on the way to the grocery store.

    All this to say: I get it and enjoy the freedom

    ReplyDelete