Saturday, March 19

Gardening!

We grew up in Ohio and every summer, we put in a garden. It consisted of thousands of tomatoes, a goodly number of peppers, mounds of zucchini, squash, pumpkins, and of course, lettuce and swiss chard. So I consider myself quite capable of gardening in the temperate soil of Ohio. However, this year I am making a tentative stab at gardening in the high altitude, desert climate of New Mexico. Boy, am I out of my element! All I know with certainty is that carrots grow well in sandy soil... but I'm not even sure what you call the soil type here. At any rate, we are going to build some little raised garden beds in the sunny backyard and water the heck out of everything.

I think that by early June it will be warm enough to put plants in outside, so today we started our seeds indoors. It was fun! Greta "helped" fill the little pots with potting soil until (thank God!) it was her nap time... during which time we actually put in the seeds. Now there is a cute little garden in front of my big living room window. God help those seeds because I'm only half sure of what I'm doing.


3 comments:

  1. Raised beds is a good way to go :) Otherwise, you'd probably have to till and treat your soil outside quite a bit pre-planting. All I've ever had to work with is AZ soil, which is clay, rocks, and sand. I'm in the process of preparing a 10x20ish space now... and have added soooo much gardening soil and coffee grounds. Starbucks has free coffee grounds for gardening :) I just can't stomach adding the steer manure yet. All your little plant pots look adorable :) can't wait to see what grows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! I know little to nothing about gardening, but was just thinking today that if I wanted to grow anything that I'd have to begin indoors (still snow on the ground...). I like how you did it with the disposable baking dishes and covers, clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria,

    I didn't have a chance to tell you how much I LOVE your indoor garden when we were over the other night.

    I LOVE IT!

    Thanks for hopping over to my blog to take a peek...and now I'm following you too!

    b

    ReplyDelete