Tuesday, March 1

Exercise - My cure all for daily ills

I have been meaning to write this particular post forever! When I think about what I would like to share about my life that helps me and might help other people, exercising is the first thing that comes to mind. It's not easy to make time for it and motivate yourself to do it, but the benefits are Amazing.

It has taken me all this time to find a workout that is both feasible time-wise and at the same time, effective. Without hesitation, I highly recommend anything by Jillian Michaels. People will try to scare you away from doing her workouts. Don't let them! Sure, it's hard, but why would you want to waste precious, baby-free time on a workout that is easy and accomplishes nothing? If you are a beginner, or if you are just starting to do the JM workouts, the best DVD to start with is "The 30 Day Shred."

It is supposed to accompany a diet regiment, but the workouts are still good without the diet aspect. This DVD is broken down into 3 levels, each becoming increasingly harder. Each level is 20 minutes and includes a warm up, a cool down, and 3 sets of workouts. The first 3 minutes of the of each set are weight training (awesome for upper back, abs, shoulders, arms). The next 2 minutes are a cardio workout, and the last minute is an ab workout. Did I already say that the best part of the workout is that it takes 20 minutes... totally feasible during nap time or even while the kids are content and playing?

Another great workout DVD from JM is "No More Trouble Zones." This workout is 40 minutes long and is a strength training program. It is divided into sets of 5 minute circuits. The exercises are combine squats/lunges with arm and ab exercises. I love it because it's really hard, but doable because the intervals are so short. (Read: I don't get bored) This DVD is wonderful for total-body toning... which is why I loved it so much after having the babies. I did segments from this DVD pretty much up to the end of Joseph's pregnancy. Note: You don't want to do any workout that involves lunges after about 6 months of pregnancy because your hips are loosening and lunges will strain them. However, squats are very good to do during pregnancy as long as your OB will let you.

If cardio (think running/treadmills) is your thing, the "Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism" DVD is an incredible cardio workout. It follows the same 40 minute pattern as "No More Trouble Zones." The circuits are broken down into kick boxing, plyometric, and running-type exercises. There is also one segment that focuses on abs. The plyometric (jump training? lots of squatting and jumping) workouts are very effective for getting your heart rate up, breaking a sweat, and toning your legs like nothing else. I only do this workout twice a week and only when I feel energetic :)

Last, but not least, you need very little to do these workouts. I use either a 3 lb. or 5 lb. set of weights and an exercise mat. And of course, everyone needs a friendly toddler to sit on their stomach during the ab workouts. Make sure not to forget the toddler.

A couple things to keep in mind if you are pregnant or post-partum: I seriously do not recommend starting anything by JM if you are pregnant and if you have not done her workouts before. Also, even if you are accustomed to her workouts and are pregnant, I wouldn't do the "Banish Fat" DVD because there's too much jumping around for it to be safe.

If you are post-partum and looking for a good way to get back into shape, these DVDs are very effective.  However, keep in mind that your body needs time to heal. It's not advisable to start any kind of an exercise regiment until after 6 weeks post partum (longer if you had a C-section). As always, check with your midwife or doctor before starting to workout again. Another thing to keep in mind when working out after having a baby... if you are reasonably in shape before getting pregnant, your abdominal muscles will separate during the pregnancy to make room for the baby. These muscles will start reconnecting sometime after 6 weeks. You can tell when they're back together if you lay on your back and pull yourself up into a crunch. Place your finger directly above your belly button. If you can fit more than one finger in the space, your abs need more time to heal. If you start doing ab workouts (sit ups, crunches, etc.) before the abs reconnect, new muscles will form over the opening and your stomach will be wider than it was before you were pregnant. Long story short? Don't do crunches or sit ups until your ab muscles come back together.

Finally, do yourself a favor. If you really want to start a workout routine, pick something that you know you will enjoy and stick with. For example, I hate any workout that involves dancing or coordination. I'm just not coordinated. Yoga is too slow for me. I'm not a relaxed sort of person. If I'm not sweating and panting, I don't feel like I worked out. These DVDs are just my favorite... they might not be yours. If you are just starting to workout or haven't been that serious about it in the past or are new to JM, please, please start with "The 30 Day Shred." When you've mastered that one, move on to the other two.

Happy exercising :)

6 comments:

  1. I keep hearing good things about Jillian. I didn't get back in shape between my first and second (or, really, second and third!) pregnancy. I think I just got lazy because I knew I was going to have more kids, so why work too hard to get fit just to get fat all over again? Also, I have a big, huge lazy streak in me, too. Sad but true. However, I also watched an episode of The Biggest Loser with my in-laws tonight, so I'm feeling extra pumped. Anyways, I'm really going to go for this 30 Day Shred after this next baby is born.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing this Maria!

    Makes me feel guilty about my silly little pilates workouts... but inspired to dust off my Jillian and get moving this morning!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! Janel, I love your reasoning. Very true. My rule is that I can't get pregnant again until I've lost the previous baby fat. :)

    No feeling guilty, Grace! Pilates is really good stuff, but it only works for me when there's an actual instructor. Otherwise, I just get sleepy.

    Oh, I wish I had an exercise buddy here. So much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm, I think you might have inspired me - 20 minutes sounds actually doable. I joined my school gym but so far the effort of getting all my stuff together, a spare outfit, and shower supplies to go work out before class has been too daunting and they gym isn't open after class. A bunch of my friends are in love with the whole PX90 workout but that thing is darn pricey! Ideally I'd just go on nice long hikes (good for body and soul) but that really isn't fitting into the schedule either... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maria -- when you say more than one finger, do you mean vertically or horizontally?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janel. I meant vertically. But you'll only be able to notice a separation if you had developed ab muscles prepregnancy. So don't freak out if you can't find a separation :) All it means is that there are two sides to your abdominable muscles. When you are pregnant, they separate down the center, over your bellybutton. Your muscles always separate during pregnancy; however, it is only discernable if your ab muscles were developed prior to pregnancy. Hmmm... I hope that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete