Monday, October 4

Parents are my heroes

I don't mean just my parents, although they have had to be pretty damn heroic these past years with so many drama-filled teenagers moving through the house into adulthood. No, I mean that parents in general are my new heroes. Next time you watch that perfectly dressed mother of two out for a walk with her tidy kids, know that that put-together woman has spent hours and sleepless nights growing those kids. She's given tepid water baths at 3am to bring down fevers, she's cleaned up throw-up, wiped up poop, probably sat in an emergency room at some point... you get the picture. Next time, before passing judgment on that frumpy mother with the screaming toddler in the checkout line, remember that she, like every mother, has endured the long discomfort of pregnancy, the pain of childbirth, and those pensive, anxiety-ridden first months of new life. Until you yourself become a parent, you cannot even imagine the work it takes to "raise" a child. There's a reason I understand now why they tell you that you will never fully understand or appreciate your parents until you become one yourself. I'm beginning to think that there is no occupation that is quite comparable to bringing up one's children. Every other job you can "leave at work" to a certain extent. Every other job you receive monetary compensation (instant satisfaction). Every other job can technically be terminated at any given moment at your whim. Not so parenting. Although I have no experience in the military, I rather imagine that it can best be compared to soldiering. It becomes your life. You have to 'see it through.' There are times when it is dangerous or difficult, as in active combat. But there are plenty of times when you're on the base, enjoying down time and some semblance of relaxation. However, unlike the military, no one is going to give you a medal for sitting up with a sick kid without loosing your temper. Yet the military cannot boast the sweet, smiling baby faces that kiss you and try to cheer you up after that bad night. So it all works out.

Last night, as I tried to fall asleep on the couch in Greta's room at 5am, after three rounds of vomiting and diarrhea with Greta, waiting for the fourth volley to hit, I found myself thinking out the sketch of this post. Parents everywhere, I salute you :) Thank you for the often thankless, unnoticed work that you do for no earthly compensation. Or is it really thankless work? For a face like this, I contend not.

2 comments:

  1. Perfectly said Maria. And way to take care of your sick little Greta. She's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your posts! And I always wonder how our parents did it. Some days I'm still in my pj's when Brendan comes home from work because of the back to back nursing and screaming sessions. And that's just with one!!! My mom had 3 of us in diapers! Yeah, parents are my heroes too!

    ReplyDelete