Saturday, September 25

My list of favorite supplements

Wow, you might be saying to yourself, that is a 'knock your socks off' title for a blog post. Isn't it, though? Completely indicative of my mental alertness at the moment. We had a busy Saturday morning, and I'm winding down on the computer before taking that precious afternoon nap. For some time, I've been intending to write a post on vitamins and supplements that have really worked or not worked for me. There are so many options out there that sometimes it's helpful to be pointed in the right direction. Not all vitamins and supplements are equal, and just because the bottle says "natural" does not mean that it's made from "natural" sources. Of course, the issue is money. Your synthetic supplements and vitamins will be much cheaper, but they will also be less effective because your body won't be able to absorb them as easily. Without further ado....
Raw Source Organics. Here is a great overall supplement made from whole foods that are cold processed and therefore, retain more of their natural potency. Raw Source Organics is an awesome company that currently sells three lines of supplements. Daily Immune helps to ward off the nasties - colds, allergies - while boosting your immune system. When I weaned Greta and was worried about her compromised immunity, I started mixing one capsule of Daily Immune in her food. It has a not unpleasant, woody taste to it, and if you put it with yoghurt or applesauce, it goes down easily. We're in the middle of fall cold and allergy season here in Gallup and neither she nor I have any complaints yet. The Daily Multiple is a great source of easily absorbed vitamins. I'm currently using it as my pre-natal because it contains folate, which triggers your body to produce folic acid. The only thing I would add is that you may need to take supplemental minerals if your doctor/midwife suggests it because these primary contain vitamin sources. One of my favorite things about the Daily Multiple is that they come in veggie capsules, which are SO MUCH EASIER to swallow and digest when compared to the horse pills I used to take (and promptly throw up). They also carry a Daily C Vitamin for all of you Vitamin C takers.

Standard Process. Unless you really know what you are doing, don't take these without a doctor, naturalist, or chiropractor's say-so and direction. I've found that when I have a specific ailment - unusual fatigue, digestive problems, dizziness, irregular periods, etc. - Standard Process is a great way to go. See a health care professional who will either do muscle testing or a detailed survey of your symptoms and prescribe based on their findings. Keep in mind that Standard Process products are very expensive for the most part, which is why I don't take them as my 'daily' supplement. However, if you have a specific health issue, think of SP as medicine. They really, really do work.

Additional minerals/vitamins. For pregnancy and really, for most period-related discomforts, I highly recommend a magnesium supplement. It really helps with water retention and bloating during both pregnancy and "that time of the month." Right now, I'm taking about 500 mg. a day and believe me, I know the difference when I don't take it. I like the Bluebonnet brand that our Co-op carries, but I've heard good things about the Calm brand as well. If you're pregnant, don't miss out on Calcium, or you could find yourself like me, with awful leg cramps. Baby needs it, too, for his development. I'm taking the Bluebonnet brand because it comes in capsule form and absorbs easily. One thing to keep in mind with Calcium is that you shouldn't take more than 500 mg at a time because your body can't absorb more than 500 mg or so at a time. So I take it with breakfast, lunch and dinner. For pregnancy-based fatigue, I discovered that a B-complex supplement is really helpful. I was pretty much dying after the home remodeling when my midwife suggested a B-complex supplement. Wow. What a difference that made in my energy levels. B-Complex is combination of all the B vitamins. I take the regular dosage of Bluebonnet's "Stress Complex" B Vitamins. If this doesn't help you with pregnancy fatigue, take a blood test to determine your iron levels. If you are iron deficient, you will be VERY tired.

I do not suggest that you go out right now and buy all of these without your doctor's approval, especially the additional supplements. However, in the interests of passing along helpful information, there you go. Feel free to post comments about what you're taking and why. If you have any questions about my post, feel free to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment