Wednesday, September 22

In the market for nursing bras??

Nursing bras are a... beast. Plan on having at least two sets of different sizes. One size for when you first give birth and a smaller size for once you start loosing weight and getting back to your normal shape. This is relevant if you plan to nurse for a year or more. DO NOT waste your money on those things Motherhood Maternity sells called "maternity bras." They are marketed towards newly pregnant mothers, whose boobs are rapidly growing during pregnancy. They are simply glorified normal bras. Save your money and either buy a size or two up in your normal bra style, or buy nursing bras once you hit your third trimester. Also, keep in mind that every woman is a different size, so when you read the reviews, take into account the writer's size, if she mentions it. I used to be about C34 before pregnancy. I'm D36 in my third trimester and for a good 4-6 months postpartum. Then I go back to D34. I like padded bras and bras with back support. Underwire is very unforgiving when your size is changing so much. These are my biases, so keep that in mind if you read my suggestions.

Here are a few places to look for buying nursing bras -
A Pea in the Pod. Outrageously expensive, but worth it if you're going to be nursing for the rest of your life, as I am. I'm trying a few new ones, so when they come, I will let you know my thoughts.
La Leche League. Trying these out as well. These are more reasonably priced. Have to be good because, well, it's LLL, for crying aloud. For you moms who pump regularly, you might want to check out their special pumping bras.
Gap. Really can't recommend any of theirs because 1. they were ugly, 2. they had only one layer of lining and my nipples showed through, 3. didn't care for the fit. And they were ugly, did I mention that? Prices were good, though.
Motherhood Maternity. I have a love/hate thing for this place. I found their underwire and padded bras to be total shit. They were itchy, uncomfortable and didn't fit well. Their sleep bra looses its shape quickly. Their prices, however, are encouraging after shopping at APITP. I liked their quasi-sports bra. http://www.motherhood.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=993890122&MasterCategory_Id=MC13 It is fully padded, the snaps work well, and I love the racer back feature in the back. But keep in mind that I'm a pretty big girl. I wear at 36D when I'm at my fattest and pregnant-est, so I like the extra support. I also like that the bra comes up higher on your chest and doesn't look like a bra when it shows under your shirt. I'm trying a few new ones in a week, so I'll update this later.
Victoria Secrets. Haven't bought these ones yet because I'm deterred by the price (around $50). They only have two and they weren't that pretty. If my recent purchases don't prove successful, I will probably buy from them.
Target. Some of my friends absolutely love them, but I wasn't a huge fan. For one, I think they work better for smaller girls (under a C cup normally). They didn't wear well for me. The elastic on the band tended to roll. The selection isn't large either. But the prices are good. If you like thinner bras and are smaller chested, they are worth trying.
Medela. Not a huge fan. I bought my normal size in a sleep bra and it fit very small. I'm fussy about sleep bras. They really need to be comfortable and these were just too tight.

Nursing Bra FAQs. You'll already know this if you've researched it, but here are a few things I've learned. Have several thin, stretchy bras on hand for when you first give birth and your milk comes in. Sleep bras are the marketing name for these. You can wear them by themselves, or you can line then with nursing pads. If you don't know yet, you might leak or squirt milk until your body adjusts. Don't feel like you need a full arsenal of nursing bras for just after delivery. Have your sleep bras ready and then within 2 to 3 weeks, or more, you'll better know your size and still have plenty of time to shop around for the style of bra you like. All of the places I mentioned have online shopping and allow returns.

2 comments:

  1. I have had my best luck going to a specialized lingerie store and getting fitted. Anita nursing bras are hands down my favorite--very expensive, but worth the $$ for those of us who are nursing for a long time! I was a D-cup before pregnancy, so nursing pretty much necessitated going to specialty stores. I do like the sleeping bras I got from Target though. They don't stay in place as well, or have much support, but they're comfortable for sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you used the word "shit" in your post. ha! Nursing bras are terrible . . . but it's interesting to see Victoria Secret is finally getting in on it. I wondered about that back with my first . . . love your post!

    ReplyDelete