Monday, May 17

Here we go again!

Prior to this second pregnancy, I was so curious as to what it would be like to be both pregnant and caring for a toddler. I suppose part of it is because I felt I couldn't handle one more thing when I was pregnant with Greta - after all, working all day and going to grad school two nights a weeks was something of a hassle. But back then, it was constantly on my mind, "how do people do this with other kids around?"

Well, I'm happy to say that it's much better this time. Oh, so much better! For one, I don't have to get dressed up and go to work every day. Don't get me wrong, I had a great job, a caring boss, pleasant coworkers, and all. But going to work is going to work... you have to get dressed, look good, act normally... traits in my mind that are rather opposed to the very nature of pregnancy. If I want to be in pj's and not wash my face all day, I really want it. And it is torturous to be sitting around in professional, uncomfortable, albeit cute clothes for 10 hours. I will never forget how, everyday at 5:20 pm when we returned home, I would waddle off to the bedroom, take off all those miserable dress clothes and put on the baggiest, most unappealing pajamas I had. Of course, an hour later, I'd have to get dressed all over again to go to night class, but it was worth it.

But the best part of not working during pregnancy is that I can have my miserable days all by myself and not have to put a smiling face over it all. C'mon, every expectant mom is going to have shitty, hormonal days when we are doing a favor to humanity in staying away from people. The problem with a regular work schedule is that you can't. Those were the absolute worse days. But now... ahhh... the underrated freedom to bitch in the privacy of your own home! The funny part is that, this time around, those days are much fewer and further in between. I suspect this is because I'm not seeing people as often and when I'm pregnant, I have so little patience for human foibles... which even in the best of coworkers, is something of an on-going issue.

End of story, I am so happy to not be working right now. I love being at home, having the leisure to enjoy my little Greta grow up, having a daily routine, eating at normal times, waiting for Josh to come home, and watching that belly grow. Yeah, and playing good music all day long.

1 comment:

  1. So true, the worst part of being pregnant was trying to function at a job. Just getting dressed in the morning while trying not to throw up was an ordeal most days!

    ReplyDelete