Friday, June 25

Mommying and Other Things

So I am supposed to be writing my masters degree thesis! Actually, I was supposed to be writing it over one year ago. But one year ago, I was having a baby, packing, moving, unpacking, packing, moving, unpacking, and settling in. Oh yes, I may not be a master of English yet, but I am most definitely a master of excuses. On one hand, I rather like being able to say to people who ask me, "what do you do?" that "I stay at home with my little girl and I'm working on my thesis." Somehow, I always have this half guilty feeling that staying home with my baby and growing another is not quite enough in most people's minds... probably just in mine. This thesis business justifies my cushy existence as a stay-at-home mother.

But the sad truth is that I really haven't been working on my thesis. I "read" for it, but that is nothing new... I am always reading a book and since they are all vaguely literary, I call it "reading for my thesis." Granted, there was a period when we lived in Florida when I ordered a bunch of books on motherhood and writing and avidly read for about 4 months. And then I finished the books and started on "Miss Marjoribanks" which has nothing to do with my topic. And that's been the story ever since. Yet that thesis is always out there, begging to be written, pervading my sleepless hours, worse for my conscience than the pile of laundry that did not get washed, or the dirty dishes left overnight in the sink. I put a lot time and energy (and money) into my master's degree; it would be a pity if I don't ever earn it from lack of having the gumption to write a thesis.

Two days ago, I had a rebirth of interest in this bugbear of a thesis. I wrote my adviser, said hello, let her know I'm still alive, and told her I'm still going to write a thesis. Her email back to me was encouraging. She has two children of her own and somehow manages them, a teaching career, and research. With the impetus of her words, I started rewriting the proposal draft I'd previously coined. I'm about half way through and getting to the nasty, researching part. There is just so much information available that it is always a chore to use it in an organized, succinct manner.

Now a new dilemma strikes. What to do with Greta? She suddenly decided to stop taking two naps and instead, have two cranky, sleepless times in the morning and afternoon. As I procrastinate and write this entry, she is trying to crawl out the window and play with "her" dog, to whom she just fed the pen I was going to use to take notes on my research. Sigh.... Now she has moved to her crib, where she is loudly  thinking over life and the delinquencies of her mother. I should be able to work because she is out of the room, but no, how can one work with a guilty conscience? My kid is crying. I'm supposed to do something about it, right? Sigh again..... The slightly ludicrous part of this whole drama is that my topic has to do with motherhood and art/writing, how the two compliment each other as two ends of the creativity spectrum (motherhood is physical creation, while writing is mental creation). The consoling part is that every critic on the subject is beset with the same struggles I'm having right now. Somehow they manage, and manage to create lasting works. My thesis does not need to be lasting, but it needs to be written at some point in time!

Anyone else? How do you do it?

3 comments:

  1. I was in the same boat a little while ago...right before getting my MA. I sometimes wish I hadn't... because I really liked having the 'mommy and grad student' line, too. It's as if I'm lacking a part of my self identity now. Oh well.

    The only time I ever managed to get anything done was while Oliver slept, and thankfully he slept 3 or 4 hours a day until very recently.

    Take your time with it and don't stress! Stress shows in writing... I hope you'll be willing to post your thesis when it's done though...sounds interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn Landreneau6/25/10, 4:15 PM

    I definitely work on school and things like that during naptime. I'm sure Greta will get settled into a one-nap schedule soon. I love having goals to achieve every day, like getting as much housework done when the kids are awake so I can do homework during naptime. Of course, pregnancy makes it a lot more tempting to nap during naptime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me guess, you're working with Andrea? ;) Keep plugging away, Maria. You and Greta will both have good days and bad days. Just make the most of the good days, and don't sweat the bad days. Also, I'm pretty sure masters theses are the reason God created Sesame Street and Barney DVDs...

    ReplyDelete